Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Money Pit: Water is not a Homeowner's Best Friend

A few months ago we started smelling a musty aroma coming from the fireplace area.  Thinking it was just the old chimney that needed a good scrubbing of course we ignored it.  One day I went to clean off the mantle and noticed that one of my Hammerpress prints had some waves in it, you know the kind that paper gets when it gets wet and dries.  I went to pull the print down from the mantle and a 6 inch long piece of paint from the wall came along with it.  Much to our dismay there was water coming in from somewhere, the source of which we still haven't exactly uncovered.  So my lovely mantle that I worked so hard on went from looking like this...


IMG_1748


to this...


IMG_0082


I had tried to decide to repaint the 6 inch rip, as we were having a lot of friends over last weekend for a party.  However instead I ended up ripping a gigantic portion of peeling paint off.  Don't ask me what happened, I think I blacked out.  So what to do?  I came up with a temporary solution..


IMG_0085


I stapled up some vintage fabric.  This way until we discover where the damage is coming from we can hide the peeling paint, and also the fabric is washable and of course easily removable.  Wah lah!


love, em



6 comments:

  1. oh no! I'm so sorry that this happened to you. I think you have made lemonaide with your ,emon though. Great temporary fix...it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is spectacular. i have wanted to do that permenently do this forever. ps. your shop is gorgeous, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh so many cute things in one room. For real.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great solution! It looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh man i'm so sorry about what happened to your mantle. but your fix was lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREAT interior decorating! And great blog. I don't know why I wasn't following you before. :)

    ReplyDelete