Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Before and After: Housewarming Table

My friend recently bought a new house.  She's had to do a lot of work on it to get it to the point where she can move in, and it's been a long and troublesome journey for her.  For a housewarming gift I wanted to do something that would be extra special.  She's an art history major, and all around lover of all things hand made.  I think she owns more of my jewelry than any other person I know.  

My original idea was to paint some pots and put plants in them.  The plants were all on sale so I thought, maybe I should get a table for the plants, and then I though maybe I should just paint the table.  


IMG_2916
I found this table at a local antique store.  It was not expensive but I liked the detailing on it, such as the top edge and the bevel on the lower shelf.  The wood laminate on the surface was starting to peel off from water damage, so I just went ahead and began ripping.  I was going to get rid of all of it, but thought it might be an interesting design element.

 
IMG_2917
I sanded and spray painted it an off white satin.


IMG_2920
I painted all the "exposed" areas of wood in a bright gold.


IMG_2922
I painted some floral silhouettes in a deep Prussian blue color.  I referenced one of my favorite pattern makers, William Morris for some inspiration. I wanted it to look like this was what was underneath the top layer when it was pulled off, kind of a buried treasure.

 
IMG_2925
I added some detailing in white.  I'm really happy with the results I think the white outlines really make it pop, however I almost liked the plain silhouettes more.  What do you think?

    

IMG_2932 

Finished with the plants I bought for it.  I hope she likes it!   



3 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful! You did an amazing job. I especially love that you left some of the veneer- I never would have thought of that.
    I see what you mean about liking the silhouettes. I think the table is really pretty either way (just silhouettes and silhouettes with detail), each way having a slightly different feel. What a cool gift for a new home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's really cool! I've been searching for the right table to refinish! You've inspired me to keep on looking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The most amazing idea for a table I have ever seen! How thoughtful of you!

    ReplyDelete