Monday, February 28, 2011

For the Love of Flowers: Silver and Lace

This past weekend there was an open house event out at Mission Farms, in Leawood, KS.  ARTichokes art gallery was participating and asked me to set up a display of flowers.  I was still feeling inspired by the vintage "moody bridal" bouquet I created for a recent photo shoot, and decided to go along the same lines with my display theme.  


IMG_6214


For props I brought along a vintage lace tablecloth of my grandmothers, lots of old books I've collected over the years, some wooden crates, old silver trays and a few silver vessels.  I wanted one tall arrangement which I put into a mercury glass trumpet vase.  


IMG_6284


I wanted a diversity of colors and blooms, so my design assistant, who also happens to be my mom, came a long with me to the wholesaler to pick our bunches.  She chose some bright magentas and oranges, to which we also added some billy balls, just for fun.


IMG_6232


IMG_6240


IMG_6257


IMG_6308 


Tray full of boots :)


I chose blooms in light pinks, creams, and whites, which I thought would feel both bridal and springy.  


IMG_6261


IMG_6297


IMG_6264


The ever under rated spider mum.  Such a showy, fragrant bloom.  Too bad the color choices are so limited.


The day before I had found some bunches at the grocery store for just $1.  That price is crazy cheap, so I snatched them up and we made a few arrangements and this sweet little boot:


IMG_6279


We wrapped everything in a variety of different ribbons including silk, velvet, satin, and herringbone.  We went a little nuts with all the textures and colors, but it was supposed to showcase what we can do so I figured why not!


It was also the debut of my very first brooch bouquet.  Still not certain whether I'm going to try to sell these bad boys.  They're time consuming, and expensive to make, but the results are so lovely.  What do you think?


IMG_6299


IMG_6221


We had fun getting ready for the event, took tons of pictures for my portfolio, shot some video to hopefully make a promo, and I met a sweet new client.  And lets not forget some quality time with the family and my hubby.  


IMG_6353


IMG_6349
 
love, emmy-ray



No comments:

Post a Comment