Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Flora Encyclopedia: R is for Ranunculus

Ranunculus-1

R is for ranunculus, one of my favorite flowers.  They're a spring bloom if you want to grow them here in the midwest, but are pretty much available year round.  They come in a beautiful range of colors including white, yellow, orange, salmon, coral, pink, red, and dark purple.  The beautiful variegated ones are some of my favorites, and they're a flower that I can't just resist buying to put on my table when they're in season.  I didn't realize that they are a member of a genus that contains over 600 species, and are even related to the buttercup.


Ranunculus-6

I was passing through the kitchen last week, and the morning light coming through the window was illuminating them so perfectly, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to snap a few pictures.  One of my favorite things about ranunculus is how varied they are from bloom to bloom.  Some open up like the one above, and show their fascinating centers...


Ranunculus-4
...and some keep themselves tightly closed, but either way their layers of petals and bold colors never disappoint.  


Ranunculus-5



Ranunculus-2
My official flower inspector, Hazel, definitely approves.


xo - Emily


No comments:

Post a Comment